Refresh Through Renovations
One of the most popular activities for people during the pandemic has been refreshing their homes. When you’re stuck inside with nowhere to go, it only makes sense. During the beginning of the pandemic, getting the supplies you needed for renovations was difficult. We’ve finally hit a point where most things are back in stock, and at a reasonable place. With new COVID variants coming out frequently, there’s still reason to start renovating your home. If you’re considering renovations, here are some tips on how to get things done efficiently and effectively, brought to you by Red Horse Home Inspection.
Plan Your Renovations Around Creating a Healthier Space
As we’re spending more and more time indoors, it’s important that you make your home into a healthier space. Many home renovations have included converting spaces into fitness areas, allowing people to stay home to work out.
Another health-conscious decision you can make is creating a dedicated home workspace. By doing so, you can help to separate work life from home life, creating a healthier balance when you’re forced to work from home. The distinction between the two spaces is significant.
Know What Jobs You Can Do, and What Jobs Need a Professional
It’s important not to dive into the deep end when you’re doing home renovations. Many jobs are able to be done on a DIY basis, but some are going to require the assistance of professionals. Let’s take a look at both categories.
Some DIY Home Renovations
There are a ton of DIY home renovations that just about any homeowner can do. Some of the most popular include:
- Painting. Painting both inside and outside surfaces can be done by anyone. Just make sure that you thoroughly prep the surfaces. This helps the paint stick.
- Refresh cabinets. Replacing cabinets is a big job that requires a professional touch. If you like your cabinets, but want to update them a bit, replace hinges and knobs. This updates their look without doing a full replacement.
- Update your ceilings. By adding simple tongue-and-groove boards to your ceilings, you can change the look of any room, and make them visually intriguing.
Jobs That Need a Professional Touch
Some jobs just aren’t suitable for a DIY approach. These common jobs should be left to the professionals:
- Replacing bathroom fixtures. Any job that requires modifying the plumbing should be left to, you guess it, a plumber.
- Changing light fixtures. Similar to plumbing jobs, electrical jobs should be left to electricians.
- Structural updates. Everyone loves an open floor plan. You can’t just go knocking down walls, though. Professionals need to make sure that walls aren’t load-bearing, something that most homeowners aren’t experienced enough to do.
Financing Your Renovations
When you’re making significant updates to your home, you’re probably going to have to dip into your savings. If that’s not an option, you may be able to refinance your home to free up some cash. A cash-out refi replaces your existing mortgage with a new loan for a larger amount. The difference between the loan amounts are what you, the borrower, receives to renovate your home with.
Update Your Space
Updating your home is going to add value to it, of course. However, you should also remember that it’s going to enrich your life. We’re spending a lot of time in our homes, thanks to the pandemic. Renovations can help you enjoy yours again!
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!